Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Spanish Rice

Spanish Rice - Yuka's recipe

1 cup long grain rice (white or brown)
1/2 of an onion diced
1/2 of a bell pepper diced
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
Cumin, salt, pepper

Fry rice, onion and pepper in a skillet w/ some corn oil for a few min.
Combine tomato paste, water, and spices.
Add to rice mixture.
Simmer covered for 15 min. until rice is tender.

Notes: you need more cumin, salt and pepper than you think. I don't have this one down pat yet so if you find some good adjustments let me know....I've also seen this made where you just put in a chunk of onion and pepper for flavor and remove before serving, but I like to cut it up and leave it in.

Laura Daines added at note about her rice:
-i add lots of chili powder along with cumin in my mexi rice, and sometimes some jalapeno, cilantro and maybe some carrots (whatever i have). but the chili powder/cumin/onion/tomato paste mixture is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment