Saturday, April 2, 2011

Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup

Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup


2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, chopped

4 cloves fresh or roasted garlic, minced (I used a jar of roasted garlic, it was phenomenal!)

80 oz chicken broth, 2 1/2 cartons of the 32 oz

10 oz can rotel tomatoes, mild

7 oz can diced green chilies

4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts; cooked, shredded and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper

2 1/2 Cups cooked rice of choice, I used basmati

1/4 Cup fresh lime juice

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

Pinches of Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and Lawry’s Garlic Salt with Parsley to taste

1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped

Fresh diced avocados, drizzled with lime juice

1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

Tortilla chips

1. Place oil into a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 minutes then add in garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, tomtoes, green chilies, chicken breast, rice, lime juice and seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes; taste and season according to your liking. Right before serving add chopped cilantro.

2. Serve soup with fresh diced avocado, shredded cheese and crushed chips if desired. If you can handle the heat, squeeze some Siracha over top, yum!!

10-12 servings

(Recipe and picture from Jenny Flake at www.picky-palate.com)


*When I made this soup for our recipe night I halved the recipe because I felt like it was going to make too much. I didn't want to waste half a can of tomatoes though so I did put the whole can in and I felt like that was better. So if I made the whole recipe I might do two cans of tomatoes. Also, I didn't know what "Rotel" tomatoes were but it is an actual brand that has chopped green chilies in it. I just found it at Ralph's. I'm sure regular diced tomatoes would work but not as flavorful with the green chilies. Also, I don't like putting shredded cheese in it. I think it's better without it ... and I normally love cheese!! I just don't think this soup needs it.

1 comment: